To provide service for people is to have intimate knowledge of their needs. To engage with people in a way that suites their needs is necessary in helping them expand their capacity and quality of life. There are no cookie cutter solutions but rather principles of action that are tailored to the circumstance of a person’s life.
The value of personal knowledge management (pkm) is that it teaches people how to learn and use knowledge in ways that are more effective. It is not practical to think of learning as an event. Learning as characterized by a person unplugging from their jobs to sit in a classroom or even log into a virtual one for that matter is not practical. Learning is a state of being where life becomes the learning experience. PKM is a methodology that can transforms every occurrence into an edifying moment.
The important thing to consider is that experience by itself does not guarantee a person is all the wiser for it. Many life moments can flow by and the value of them are lost because the lesson was not captured and turned into insight.
PKM helps people capture the value from these moments and make use of them for immediate impact. The promise of PKM is that helps people and organizations operate in more effective ways often with less resources. Like a good Kung Fu flick, PKM comes down to the execution of a few good techniques. Practice hard, be consistent and you can become a knowledge wielding master.
Here are a few PKM techniques you can try:
* Use a central hub /dashboard to store and access all of your web resources, cloud based tools, and people profiles.
* Capture knowledge when it is created preserving the context it was created in. Tools like Evernote can help immensely.
* Use an article aggregator like Feedly to manage your daily reading.
* Take inventory of the people in your network and the knowledge, skills and talents they possess.
* Use a tag system in your contact lists to indicate the knowledge, skills, and talents of your network.
* Never ever forget that people are knowledge powerhouses not your books, websites or notes. It is all about the power of people!
* Create and document a daily learning routine it. Make a list and check it twice. This is your training regimen!
Good luck if you have any recommendations on “Pkm-fu” techniques I would love to hear about them. Feel free to share in the comments.